Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Mon, 21 May 2012, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 23:35:58 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >> Thanks for the suggestion, Henrique!
> >> The PSU is a 750 W so I think it should be enough for now.
> >
> > Yes, it is probably enough.  You have to do a lot to overpower a *good*
> > 750W PSU (a crappy one, OTOH...).
> >
> > You should still do all testing with the minimal hardware setup.  From
> > experience, you also need to be able to test using no keyboard or a
> > different keyboard (and mouse)... USB is supposed to be safe from this
> > crap as it can detect overcurrent, but since it IS detecting overcurrent
> > in your case (be it a faulty alarm or not)...
>
> The PSU is a Thermaltake. I have two PSUs with less power. Maybe I should
> try it with one of them?

Well, it is worth a try, Thermaltake are usually good PSUs, but still...

> I will try this evening with a old ps2 keyboard. But it would surprise me

Please make sure to not hotplug a PS2 device (mice/keyboards), they're
cold-plug only.  Some motherboards and devices tolerate hotplugging, but it
is not safe to do so unless you're explicilty told in documentation of both
devices that hotplugging is supported.

> if this is the source of the problem because the usb transmitter for the
> keyboard / mouse is used in another computer without problems and the
> over-current messages are always related to port 7 and 8. Using a
> different usb port makes no difference...

Yes, it's unlikely.  But you have already exausted all likely reasons,
anyway...

  Henrique Holschuh