Re: Wheezy: "aptitude update" fails

Just to be clear. For the archives.

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 03:55:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 03:11:30 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

This: (We'll call it error 1 for clarity)

> [...]

is not fixed by:

> >> Clean your local apt cache:
> >>
> >> apt-get clean

> But apt was not complaining on the "local" index files...

So you are refering to a different error to the one from above?
i.e. NOT error 1  ?
If yes, then it wasn't clear from your post.

> > The command "apt-get clean" clears out files under:
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/
> >
> > Just wiped out your downloaded files. :(

> And that was exactly the point, removing the local cache of downloaded
> deb files which could be bad or broken because of the presence of a proxy.

Really? In what way do you mean bad or broken? Each package is digitally
signed.

In fact, if the subject is correct, any files under
"/var/cache/apt/archives/" have nothing to do with aptitude update
failing.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but your sugestion that:
apt-get clean

will fix the error:

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

is simply not true.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X