Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 5/20/2012 1:13 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> There were no problems upgrading the fw :-)
>
> Unfortunately it didn't solve he problem.

Grrr.

>> 3.  Go into the mobo BIOS and set and test these options:
>>
>> Quiet Boot:					DISABLED
>> Interrupt 19 Capture:				DISABLED
>> --save/reboot/test--
>> PCI Express Port:				ENABLED
>> PEG Force Gen1:					ENABLED
>> Detect Non-Compliance Device:			ENABLED --save/reboot/
> test--
>> XHCI Hand-off:					ENABLED
>> Active State Power Management:			ENABLED PCIe (PCI
> Express) Max Read
>> Request Size:	4096 --save/reboot/test--
>
> None of this worked.

Grrr.

>> If none of this works, disable both on board SATA controllers:
>>
>> Serial-ATA Controller 0:			DISABLED
>> Serial-ATA Controller 1:			DISABLED
>>
>> and connect all drives to the 9240, and re-enable Interrupt 19
> Capture:
>> 		ENABLED
>>
>> This will allow booting from the 9240.  In the 9240 webBIOS, create a
>> RAID1 array device of two disks, make it bootable, save and initialize
>> the array.  Reboot into the Squeeze install disk and install onto the
>> RAID1 device.  The initialization should continue transparently in the
>> background while you're installing Debian.  When finished reboot to see
>> if the boot hang persists.
>
> I was able to set a RAID1 in the WebBIOS and set the bootable option. But
> I'm not sure if the setting was accepted. Even though when I set the
> bootable option again the WebBIOS tells me the option is already set - so
> it should be ok?
>
> Unfortunately the Debian installer doesn't list the RAID1 storage
> device :-?

Grrrr.

Does the mobo BIOS show the disk device?  If not, does the 9240 BIOS
show the disk device, RAID level, and its size?

What we need to figure out is whether this is a BIOS problem at this
point or a Debian installer kernel driver problem.

>> Hopefully you won't need to do all of these things as it will be very
>> time consuming.  I'm attempting to provide you a thorough
>> troubleshooting guide that covers most/all the possible/likely causes of
>> the hang.
>
> Thank you very much for your help so far :-)

Sorry it hasn't helped you make forward progress.

Did you already flash the C7P67 BIOS to the latest version?  I can't recall.

--
Stan