Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 5/20/2012 1:13 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> I was able to set a RAID1 in the WebBIOS and set the bootable option. But
> I'm not sure if the setting was accepted. Even though when I set the
> bootable option again the WebBIOS tells me the option is already set - so
> it should be ok?
>
> Unfortunately the Debian installer doesn't list the RAID1 storage
> device :-?

Are you using the very latest Squeeze installer ISO?

It's possible the driver in 2.6.32-5 used in the original Squeeze
installer doesn't work with the 9240.  Support for the 9240 was added in
2.6.32-29:

Something else to try:

If the disks that were attached to the mobo SATA ports are still intact
with Sqeueeze installed, boot the system with those attached to the mobo
SATA but with the 9240 and expander removed from the system.

Once booted, upgrade the kernel:

$ aptitude -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Shutdown, install the 9240 only, power up and see if it boots without
hanging.  If it does, power down, plug in the expander, cables, drives,
etc, power up and see if Debian sees the RAID1 virtual disk, and the
JBOD drives, if any are present.

--
Stan