Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:31:51 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 5/19/2012 5:33 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm really thankful for the recommendation. And somehow I hoped
>> you could jump in and help me :-)
>
> I'm actively working on it, have been for a couple of hours on and off.
>  I'm reading your responses as I go before responding so I hopefully
> don't recommend something you've already tried.  I'm still researching.
>  In the mean time, if you can, go ahead and flash the 9240 with the
> latest firmware, precisely following the instructions.

There were no problems upgrading the fw :-)

Unfortunately it didn't solve he problem.

> Also try the following:
>
> 1.  Power the Intel expander with a PSU 4 pin Molex connector instead of
> using a PCIe slot.  Molex are the large standard plugs, usually white,
> used to connect hard drives for the past 25 years--two black wires, one
> red, one yellow.  With the chassis laying on your desk and the side/top
> cover panel removed, lay the anti-static bag the expander shipped in on
> top of the drive cage frame or PSU, then lay the expander card on its
> back on top of the bag--heat sink facing the ceiling.  Make sure it
> doesn't fall off and ground out to the metal chassis or mobo, etc.  This
> will eliminate a possible PCIe power bug in the mobo.

Did that but again no improvement.
Over-current messages still present and boot process still not finished
properly.

But the over-current message is always present even with only mb, ram, cpu
and graphics card.

Btw this is a PCIe x1 ATI FireMV 2260 card. With it I have both PCIe x16
for the LSI and Intel cards available.

> 2.  With the expander powered directly from the PSU, try the 9240 in
> each x16 slot until one works (I'm assuming you know that you must power
> down the system before inserting/removing cards or you'll very likely
> permanently damage the cards and/or mobo).  If no success here...

No success with the hba in either of the two slots. I have also tried to
plug the graphics card to another slot.
And the expander was completely removed for these tests with no SAS cable
connected to the lsi card.

> 3.  Go into the mobo BIOS and set and test these options:
>
> Quiet Boot:					DISABLED
> Interrupt 19 Capture:				DISABLED
> --save/reboot/test--
> PCI Express Port:				ENABLED
> PEG Force Gen1:					ENABLED
> Detect Non-Compliance Device:			ENABLED --save/reboot/
test--
> XHCI Hand-off:					ENABLED
> Active State Power Management:			ENABLED PCIe (PCI
Express) Max Read
> Request Size:	4096 --save/reboot/test--

None of this worked.

> If none of this works, disable both on board SATA controllers:
>
> Serial-ATA Controller 0:			DISABLED
> Serial-ATA Controller 1:			DISABLED
>
> and connect all drives to the 9240, and re-enable Interrupt 19
Capture:
> 		ENABLED
>
> This will allow booting from the 9240.  In the 9240 webBIOS, create a
> RAID1 array device of two disks, make it bootable, save and initialize
> the array.  Reboot into the Squeeze install disk and install onto the
> RAID1 device.  The initialization should continue transparently in the
> background while you're installing Debian.  When finished reboot to see
> if the boot hang persists.

I was able to set a RAID1 in the WebBIOS and set the bootable option. But
I'm not sure if the setting was accepted. Even though when I set the
bootable option again the WebBIOS tells me the option is already set - so
it should be ok?

Unfortunately the Debian installer doesn't list the RAID1 storage
device :-?

> Hopefully you won't need to do all of these things as it will be very
> time consuming.  I'm attempting to provide you a thorough
> troubleshooting guide that covers most/all the possible/likely causes of
> the hang.

Thank you very much for your help so far :-)

Best regards
Ramon