Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 5/19/2012 5:33 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> Yes, I'm really thankful for the recommendation.
> And somehow I hoped you could jump in and help me :-)

I'm actively working on it, have been for a couple of hours on and off.
 I'm reading your responses as I go before responding so I hopefully
don't recommend something you've already tried.  I'm still researching.
 In the mean time, if you can, go ahead and flash the 9240 with the
latest firmware, precisely following the instructions.

Also try the following:

1.  Power the Intel expander with a PSU 4 pin Molex connector instead of
using a PCIe slot.  Molex are the large standard plugs, usually white,
used to connect hard drives for the past 25 years--two black wires, one
red, one yellow.  With the chassis laying on your desk and the side/top
cover panel removed, lay the anti-static bag the expander shipped in on
top of the drive cage frame or PSU, then lay the expander card on its
back on top of the bag--heat sink facing the ceiling.  Make sure it
doesn't fall off and ground out to the metal chassis or mobo, etc.  This
will eliminate a possible PCIe power bug in the mobo.

2.  With the expander powered directly from the PSU, try the 9240 in
each x16 slot until one works (I'm assuming you know that you must power
down the system before inserting/removing cards or you'll very likely
permanently damage the cards and/or mobo).  If no success here...

3.  Go into the mobo BIOS and set and test these options:

Quiet Boot:					DISABLED
Interrupt 19 Capture:				DISABLED
--save/reboot/test--
PCI Express Port:				ENABLED
PEG Force Gen1:					ENABLED
Detect Non-Compliance Device:			ENABLED
--save/reboot/test--
XHCI Hand-off:					ENABLED
Active State Power Management:			ENABLED
PCIe (PCI Express) Max Read Request Size:	4096
--save/reboot/test--

If none of this works, disable both on board SATA controllers:

Serial-ATA Controller 0:			DISABLED
Serial-ATA Controller 1:			DISABLED

and connect all drives to the 9240, and re-enable
Interrupt 19 Capture:				ENABLED

This will allow booting from the 9240.  In the 9240 webBIOS, create a
RAID1 array device of two disks, make it bootable, save and initialize
the array.  Reboot into the Squeeze install disk and install onto the
RAID1 device.  The initialization should continue transparently in the
background while you're installing Debian.  When finished reboot to see
if the boot hang persists.

Hopefully you won't need to do all of these things as it will be very
time consuming.  I'm attempting to provide you a thorough
troubleshooting guide that covers most/all the possible/likely causes of
the hang.

> But I didn't know if it's ok to ask you by name.

I've been doing a "reply-to-all" with each reply, hoping you'd follow
suit.  This list is very busy thus a reply-all ensures I won't miss your
posts.

Please feel free to address me by name and/or contact me directly off
list.  I recommended this storage controller/expander solution to you
and it's not working yet.  I'm not going to leave you twisting in the
wind.  That's not how I roll. ;)  Besides, look at my RHS domain.  I
have a reputation to uphold. :)

--
Stan