Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sun, 20 May 2012 21:37:19 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

(...)

> Does the mobo BIOS show the disk device?  If not, does the 9240 BIOS
> show the disk device, RAID level, and its size?
>
> What we need to figure out is whether this is a BIOS problem at this
> point or a Debian installer kernel driver problem.

I have finally found some time to work on the problem:

I set up a raid1 in the hba bios. I couldn't install onto it with the
supermicro mb.

Then I mounted the lsi hba into my old server with an Asus mb (can't
remember which one it is, must have to check it at home...). It (almost)
works like a charm.
The only issue is that I can't enter the hba BIOS when it's mounted in
the Asus mb. But when I put it back into the Supermicro mb I can access
it again. Very strange!
But apart from that I could install Debian onto the raid1. Then I set
the bios to use the disks as jbods and installed Debian gain to a drive
directly attached to the mb sata controller.
With the original squeeze kernel the disks attached to the hba weren't
visible. But after updating to the bpo kernel I can fdisk them
separately and put it into a raid5 (in the end I want to apply the 500G
partition method Cameleon suggested).

> Did you already flash the C7P67 BIOS to the latest version?  I can't
> recall.

I have tried to do that but it was quite strange.
I created a freedos usb stick with unetbootin and copied the files for
the update from supermicro into the stick. I did exactly what the
readmes told me. But when I did it the first time there was no output
of the flash process and the directory where the supermicro files were
located on the stick was empty.
When I tried to do the procedure again it complains that I have to
first install version 1.

I will now bring it to my dealer who can do the BIOS update for me.

And I will write to Supermicro if they are aware of the issue.

Best regards
Ramon