Re: Wheezy removed ifupdown

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:43:36 +0200, Tom H wrote:

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 16:07:52 +0000 (UTC) Ramon Hofer
<ramonhofer@bluewin.ch> wrote:
But the problem is when I do a dist-upgrade it will ignore the
ifupdown package? Should I now just install the package with apt-get
again? And why did this happen?
It happened because you upgraded netbase, which arrived in wheezy
before the required version of ifupdown migrated.  I spotted this
myself. Simply by waiting 24 hrs, the relevant version of ifupfown
migrated, and the next package upgrade passed without issue.  To avoid
problems, make sure the version of ifupdown that you (re)install is
0.7~rc3.

Hopefully, you can learn a useful lesson from this;  Don't blindly
accept every change apt-get wants to make.  Especially if it's a
package removal.
Especially since apt warns you that it's about to remove ifupdown...

I "blindy" removed the package (heck, this is testing, so the change could be necessary...) but I didn't notice any problem, maybe because I'm using NM :-).
Reinstalling now...

I also dist-upgraded wheezy today (20 May 2012) and saw the netbase bug and went ahead with the install (after backing up the wheezy partition to DVD). After the upgrade I had no problem with network but the system would hang logging out of Xfce4 (black screen, no kbd.) So I restored my backup and went back. I tried downgrading netbase back to 4.47 but that did not help.

Hugo