Re: chroot or virtual machine

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:08:32AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:33:21AM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 09:15:26AM +0100, Chris Davies wrote:
> > > Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> > Arguably, we should probably document the setup procedure.  While
> > we describe all the configuration options, we don't detail how to
> > set up the actual chroot--it's assumed it already exists, though
> > we should probably include examples of how to create them.
>
> I think you have enough information already.  They are just a bit
> convoluted, though.
>
> In schroot(8), you have sbuild(8) as SEE ALSO.
>
> Then, in sbuild(8), you have sbuild-setup(7) and sbuild-createchroot(8)
> as SEE ALSO.
>
> There are enough information in sbuild-setup(7) and
> sbuild-createchroot(8) needed for making chroot.
>
> I wish a bit more direct and obvious connection from  schroot(8) to
> the content of sbuild-setup(7).
>
> In some way, sbuild-setup(7) could be renamed as schroot-setup(7) and
> moved into schroot package, etc. There may be additional reorganization
> needed along with this change.  Then everything is quite tidy and nice.

Yes, I agree the organisation could be much better.  Note that I have
on my plan (http://wiki.debian.org/Schroot/Roadmap#Easy items 2 and 3)
the automatic bootstrapping of a new chroot, which would make all of
the sbuild and schroot chroot setup completely transparent.

Essentially, you could have a chroot definition in /etc/schroot/chroot.d
provided by a package.  But there would also be some additional keys
telling it which repository, suite etc. to use to run debootstrap.  So
the user would just run "schroot --create -c $name" and it will run
all the setup scripts with a "create" argument.  The package postinst
could even do this automatically.  And this would be usable by hand-
make chroots as well, so you never need to deal with all those setup
instructions, it will just be built-in.

Note: this probably won't be achievable in the wheezy freeze timeframe,
but certainly for wheezy+1.  Once this is done, I'll be able to
reorganise the documentation to be much friendlier!  And tools like
sbuild-createchroot will no longer need to exist--their setup tasks
can just be merged with the chroot setup scripts.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh