Re: chroot or virtual machine

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 17:24 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:19:23AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Like you, I'm figuring this out, and so my understanding could be wrong
> > or suboptimal.  I tried to avoid the sys/proc/dev sharing, but found I
> > needed to do them to make things work.  Sharing those virtual file
> > systems removes a lot of the isolation between the chroot and the host.
> >
> > Perhaps someone who knows more will say more :)
>
> Did you discover schroot yet?  It will do all of that stuff for you,
> and more, including setting up all the system passwd databases etc.
> The next stable release will also allow services to be stopped and
> started in the chroot automatically as well.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/schroot.pdf

I think I looked at it based on Osamu's pointer in the Debian Reference,
but it seemed like a lot to understand when I didn't even even
understand the basic chroot fully.  Perhaps, as some of the later
discussion in this thread indicates, the documentation could be a bit
more helpful, but there may be an irreducible complexity.

Ross