Re: chroot or virtual machine

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:19:23AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Like you, I'm figuring this out, and so my understanding could be wrong
> or suboptimal.  I tried to avoid the sys/proc/dev sharing, but found I
> needed to do them to make things work.  Sharing those virtual file
> systems removes a lot of the isolation between the chroot and the host.
>
> Perhaps someone who knows more will say more :)

Did you discover schroot yet?  It will do all of that stuff for you,
and more, including setting up all the system passwd databases etc.
The next stable release will also allow services to be stopped and
started in the chroot automatically as well.

http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/schroot.pdf

Regards,
Roger

--