Re: OT: language (was: Re: something about rm)

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:09:24PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 17 May 2012 22:52:36 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > I have no data for this, but I would be willing to bet that singular
> > they is in more widespread use in American English than any of
> > the invented words. Probably also more common than "it" for
> > unknown-but-present gender.
>
> Possibly!  Don't get me onto the subject of the mauling to which your
> continent sometimes subjects the English language. ;-)
>
> I speak and know English English. (Sorry - there is no method of saying that,
> that does not come across as clumsy - English as it is spoken in England.)

It is generally agreed that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland speak
the same English as England (being all part of the same country). So the
term used is "British English" (en_GB). "The Queen's English" is
possibly acceptable in casual speech, but you might get complaints from
the Commonwealth countries.