Re: OT: language (was: Re: something about rm)

On Thursday 17 May 2012 22:52:36 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> I have no data for this, but I would be willing to bet that singular
> they is in more widespread use in American English than any of
> the invented words. Probably also more common than "it" for
> unknown-but-present gender.

Possibly!  Don't get me onto the subject of the mauling to which your
continent sometimes subjects the English language. ;-)

I speak and know English English. (Sorry - there is no method of saying that,
that does not come across as clumsy - English as it is spoken in England.)
And I agree with you that invented terms are frankly silly.  But "their" as
the singular possessive in written English is bizarre and unnecessary.  (S)he
is virually unpronounceable, so cannot really be used in speech, though "she
or he" can be, but his/her is pronouncable; and both are fine and to be
desired in writing.

Lisi