Re: OT: language (was: Re: something about rm)

On Thursday 17 May 2012 20:52:36 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> Unlike those (and similar invented things), "they" doesn't sound
> horrible and ridiculously artificial.

To many of us, it does.  It grates badly.  I have no problem at all with
(s)he, I also contend that "it's she" is perfectly acceptable and can be
validly parsed grammatically.

 The "it's" is in common usage, for example as in "it's a lovely day".  "It's
raining", or e.g. when announcing a birth "it's a girl".

But I have to admit that the 2nd person plural has finally totally
vanquished - the last living use of the second person singular that I know of
had died out by the end of the 20th century.  And no doubt the third person
singular will eventually go the same way.  Sad.

Lisi