Re: Files and directories showing in CLI but not in GUI

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:09:48AM +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 01:42:05AM BST, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > As I mentioned above and in the listed previous threads, this was a
> > new install, but the home partition that is acting strangely s from a
>
> That sounds simply like a permissions issue.
> To rule it our mound the filesystem rw and change the permissions
> on files and directories to 666 and 777 respectively (start with the
> full patch as the GUI file manager might need to have access to read
> those all the way from "/" up.

Almost certainly a permissiopns issue, espcially as he mentioned it was
a fresh install mounting an old /home.
I'd be wary of chmodding everything 666 and 777 personally, as certain
things might need other perms. Besides, 644 and 755 are more secure.

@Mark: open a terminal, become root, type 'ls -la'. Should reveal the
problem if it's a permissions issue. Perhaps your UID is different in
the new system from the previous one, in which case a simple 'chown -R'
should fix it.

--
 Indulekha