Re: Files and directories showing in CLI but not in GUI

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:04:16PM BST, Indulekha wrote:
> Almost certainly a permissiopns issue, espcially as he mentioned it was
> a fresh install mounting an old /home.
> I'd be wary of chmodding everything 666 and 777 personally, as certain
> things might need other perms. Besides, 644 and 755 are more secure.

I never suggested chmod everything from "/" up, only the files' and
directories' affected full path STARTING from "/" which in this
example is /home mounted somewhere in /target, /media, /mnt, etc.
And yes, 644 and 755 are enough to view the files but if the file
manager is running as a different user he might not be able to change
anything using GUI, that might be the reason why he can see the files
on in the terminal and not in the GUI file manger in the first place -
I don't know how this particular Live CD work.
Then chmod go-rwx or g-w and o-rwx will be enough to get /home back
to desired permissions.

Cheers,
--
rjc