Re: Files and directories showing in CLI but not in GUI

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:22:04AM +0000, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 5/12/12, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 11:43:43PM +0000, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> >> I had some problems with one of my drives last week (see "System no
> >> longer boots" and "How to remove a PV from an LVM VG?"
> >>
> >> Now my problem is different, and stranger.
> >>
> >> I thought that I was going to need to get filesystem recovery software
> >> to retrieve at least some of my data.  Meanwhile, I obtained a spare
> >> 80 GB HD and a live DVD ROM which contained Debian Squeeze.  I could
> >> boot to the live system and I did an install onto the 80 GB drive.  I
> >> rebooted into the new system and it seemed OK.  I installed R-Linux to
> >> try and recover my files, but it did not see my old drive (from which
> >> I had done the pvmove).  It was getting late and I did not want to
> >> leave the system up untill I knew that everything was working
> >> reasonably.  So I powered down.
> >>
> >> The next day I was unable to boot into the new system without being
> >> dropped into a maintenance shell.  Aaaargh!  So I booted into the live
> >> system, again.  I looked for my missing files and directories again.
> >> Why would I expect to see them?  I don't know.  Desperation, perhaps.
> >> The file browser did not show them.  Then I tried something different.
> >>  I opened a terminal, did a 'cd' to my old home directory which I had
> >> mounted at /mnt and did an 'ls'.  Lo!  And Behold!  The missing
> >> directories were there.  I did a 'cd' into my main documents
> >> directory, followed by 'ls' and my files were all there.  They show up
> >> from the command line, but not from the GUI!
> >>
> >> Now I really started to wonder.  I opened OpenOfficeCalc aqnd tried to
> >> browse to the directory and file that I had just seen.  Nothing.  The
> >> directory did not show up.  Then I clicked on the icon to 'Type a File
> >> Name' and entered the name of the missing directory, followed my a
> >> slash.  All the files showed up!  I selected one of the large .ods
> >> files that I use a lot.  A message came up, saying:
> >>
> >> Document file 'xxxxx.xxx' is locked for editing by:
> >> xxx ( 06.05.2012 15:49)
> >> Open the document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.
> >>
> >> The x's above were the file name that I was trying to open and my
> >> login on the old system.  If I select Open Read-Only the file opens
> >> right up.  Other files open without the warning.  I probably had that
> >> particular file open when the system went wonky (it is almost always
> >> open) and that is the reason for the warning dialog.
> >>
> >> So my question is: Why do some of my files and directories show in GUI
> >> apps, but not all of them, while all of them seem to show up just fine
> >> from the command line?
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?  If all of my files are actually
> >> on the disk, in good order, why can I only see them from the command
> >> line?  Is there something that I can do to make all of the files and
> >> directories visible in GUI apps, as well?  This would make my life a
> >> whole lot easier.

> [...]

Something to do with gnome or nautilus then, I'd think...
Sorry I'm not more helpful, I don't use those.
You could try creating a new user account and see if it happens
there too -- then if it doesn't you know there's probably an error
of some sort in a config file.
If this was caused by an update, apt-get -f install might work...

--
 Indulekha