Re: Problem with resolution on Radeon HD 7459 card (Squeeze)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:32:51 +0900, Han wrote in message
<[🔎] CADZ+JBqkCEZ17Jgb0SXRDF+6pB057bAm+ebBUpAU-=zXKgOLBA@mail.gmail.com>:

> > ..what happens if you try the radeon driver from backports?
> > Or dist-upgrade to wheezy?
>
> Well, if I change the word fglrx in my xorg.conf to radeon or
> radeonhd, it gives me a
> black console.
>
> Actually, I was running wheezy on my machine, until X window system
> crashed after
> my recent upgrade of the system including the package
> xwindow-xorg-video-ati.

..you filed a bug on this???

> So, I am skeptical about the possibility that
> the problem will be solved by upgrading to wheezy.

..ok, I use Sid and the guys fix my bug reps fairly quickly.

> My machine is now set-up for dual-boot on wheezy and squeeze, and I am
> now trying
> to set up squeeze.

..that means you wanna have a new card on an old distro.

..I'd like to see your /var/log/Xorg.0.log errors when you boot
wheezy without the "quiet" appended to the kernel commandline,
easiest way is erase it from the grub menu entry before you boot,
and using the radeon driver, and KMS.

> Thanks to the help of the community, I can now use the machine OK, but
> this slow
> redrawing of the window and the window pane is rather annoying.

..for benchmarking, install torcs and flightgear and tell me
your framerates.

..on my M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5200] in a Fujitsu-Siemens
Celsius H240 at 1920x1200x32bpp@60Hz, radeon and KDE-4.7.4:
Windowed torcs, 19.48 to 20.32fps
Full screen "game mode" torcs 29.6 to 30.2fps
Full screen Flightgear 2.6.0: 5 to 30fps depending on how
much eye candy I pile up on it.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: