Re: Problem with resolution on Radeon HD 7459 card (Squeeze)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:56:12 +0900, Han Soo Chang wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> I installed fglxr driver from squeeze backports, but it didn't help.

Bad news, then. The backported driver is the same version than the
current upstream from AMD/ATI (12.3).

Besides the ATI driver, did you get another packages from there (i.e.,
xserver)? It seems you're using Squeeze's stock kernel and "xserver-xorg-
core" versions.

> aticonfig --initial returned that supported device could not be found.

Here are the steps to configure the closed source driver once you install
the packages:

http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Squeeze

The above command has to be run with no X running.

> I put a small xorg.conf file so that fglxr will be loaded, but starting
> x resulted in black console.

How bad :-(

> It seems that my graphic card is too new to be used.

Or that you need an updated xerver or kernel...

> I found a proprietary linux driver in AMD's site
> (http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx) for Radeon HD 7XXX
> series, but I don't know if it is safe to use it.

AFAIK, it matches the version that you have now (12.3).

> I put the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log below.
>
> I would appreciate any help.

>From the log you attach, the vesa driver is loaded instead fglrx but I
can't see any try coming from the xorg server to load the closed source
driver which can mean:

1/ The xserver version you have installed does not support your card,
although I would have expected something at the logs showing xorg falling
back to vesa.

2/ You've boot your system with no "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and thus not
forcing the load of the fglrx driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón