Re: Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional

Hi,

Alle venerdì 30 marzo 2012, Martin Steigerwald ha scritto:
> I added debian-kde to Cc as there are members of the Debian Qt/KDE
> packing team subcribed to, while I am not sure whether any of them
> are subscribed to debian-user.
>
> Am Freitag, 30. März 2012 schrieb Max Hyre:
> >     Dear Debian:
> >
> >     I tried to remove the transitional package kdebase-runtime, and
> >
> > got a shock when it proposed removing a number of packages, some
> > important [1].
> >
> >     I checked the bugs for a few of them, and no report has been
> >
> > filed.  I should do so, but really don't look forward to doing the
> > same report thirteen times.  Can I just file them against the kde
> > package, or is there some straightforward way to file one report
> > against multiple packages, or do I just plan to spend some quality
> > time with cut & paste?

Please do not file bugs about packages still depending on the "old"
kdebase-runtime.

> I suggest you get in contact with the Debian Qt/KDE team on IRC or
> their mailing list. Or on debian-kde mailinglist that I added to Cc.

I suggest that too.

> KDE 4.7.4 SC just transitioned to Wheezy. And AFAIK only in KDE 4.7.4
> SC kde-runtime replaced kdebase-runtime. It might just be that the
> Qt/KDE team is aware of the situation and it will take some more
> time to fix all those packages.

The dependency on kdebase-runtime is added automatically in packages,
you generally won't find any package with architecture different than
"all" actually declaring an explicitly dependency on kde(base)-runtime
on its own.
This means packages will "switch dependency" progressively once they get
built for some reason (new version, rebuild for some transition, etc).

> In the meanwhile just don´t remove that package ;).

Correct (after all, kdebase-runtime is just an empty transitional
package, so no harm in leaving it). We could take a look at the packages
still depending on kdebase-runtime in say a couple of months or so.

--
Pino Toscano