Re: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:10:19 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

<snip>

What recent operating system needs to be installed still in a primary
partition? Can you tell what OS are you going to install?

I want to try PC-BSD 9  (see http://pcbsd.org/ ), which, unfortunately,
apparently needs to be installed in a primary partition.

Mmm, which seems to be true:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_FAQS#Is_it_possible_to_install_PC-BSD_on_an_extended_partition.3F

I didn't know about that requirement for *BSD systems. With today hard disk
capacity standards (~2 TiB) it seems to me a bit unrealistic requirement :-/

(...)

so I believe that, in the circumstances, I have to abandon the prospect
of installing PC-BSD 9 on this computer.

I already pointed out some alternatives and Keith told you about
virtualization which can be also another possibility, at least to test
the PC-BSD 9 inners :-)

I appear to have successfully more or less installed PC-BSD 9 on a laptop computer; an HP/Compaq NX5000 with 2GB RAM, which has Debian Linux 6.03 as the only other operating system (and only other primary partition, apart from the Extended partition), but, to run it, I have to figure out how to get GRUB to find it. I have not been able to find how to get GRUB to find the PC-BSD 9 installation, as yet. But, that is another issue, and, a bit of a different topic.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."