Re: apt-get will upgrade aptitude will not

look at this, is interesting....

On 22/03/12 17:49, Jochen Spieker wrote:
Pierre Frenkiel:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jochen Spieker wrote:

I didn't have that problem. Is it reproducible?

    yes. I tried apt-get several times before shifting to aptitude.
    Is the difference coming from the fact that you are on amd64 and I am on i386?
    I'll try later on my laptop which has a amd64 processor.

You could also try removing ffmpeg on your i386 machine again (or
upgrading to Marillat's version) and install the specific version again.
I assume apt-get developers might be interested in that.

Sure, if you only use packages from there that are available from
Debian, too. But I use other packages as well. Whether Marillat's use of
the epoch qualifies as cheating is a question I cannot answer.

   This results in completely by-passing the pinning settings.

No it doesn't, my pinning works fine. Christian Marillat at least uses
documented behaviour in order to make sure that every user uses only his
versions, even if Debian currently ships newer upstream versions.

The policy says, the epoch "is provided to allow mistakes in the version
numbers of older versions of a package, and also a package's previous
version numbering schemes, to be left behind."

I don't know much about these things, but that doesn't sound like
Christian Marillat uses the epoch in a way that was intended by the
policy's authors. But then again, he is maintaining his own repository
and nobody can force him to adhere to the policy.

   Of course, the excuse is to avoid dependencies problems, but I imagine
   that the maintainers of the official repos are also able to manage dependencies
   for the packages they provide....

Debian maintainers are not interested in making sure their libavcodec
works with Marillat's ffmpeg and vice versa.

J.