Re: Line wrapping and message retrieval in Icedove.

On 23/03/12 14:06, Peter Easthope wrote:
> On 22/03/12 06:33 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 23/03/12 04:57, Peter Easthope wrote: NOTE: Icedove and
>> Thunderbird are not identical, you don't say which version you have
>> installed,
>
> A photo here. http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/AboutIcedove.jpg
>
> peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l icedove | grep ice ii  icedove
> 3.0.11-1+squeeze7  mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam
> filter support
>
> [There it goes breaking another line!   =8~:| ]

All readable this end of the tube - and the url for your photo will work
too. Perhaps you're getting dynamic wrap (to window) confused with line
break (new line)?

Screen shot of your post here:-
http://ge.tt/68PmPNF/v/0

>> ... how you have it configured,
>
> peter@dalton:~/.config$ man icedove | grep conf
> peter@dalton:~/.config$

The config files live beneath ~/.icedove
No matter. Read on.

> No *.conf mentioned.
>
>> ... or what extensions you have installed (it makes a difference).
>
> None that I've installed deliberately.

I wasn't so much asking your config, as pointing out that it's *highly*
customisable, and has different features/layouts according to version.
So my default setups and documentation online may not match your experience.

<snipped>

> To be more clear I might have typed, "Can the length at which a line
> is automatically wrapped be adjusted?"

*Yes*.
See "mailnews.wraplength" setting further down this (and the previous) post.

<snipped>

> Yes, when composing a message I use the clipboard to insert a URI
> and Icedove immediately breaks it.   =8~:|

I don't believe it "breaks" it (inserts a line break into it) - "it"
just dynamically wraps it. ie. resize the window and the line lengths
change. See the screen scrape as evidence no link was broken.

>> Toolbar =>  Edit =>  Preferences In the Preferences dialog select
>> the "Advanced" tab In the "Advanced" tab select "General". Click on
>> the "config editor" button (and promise to be careful)
>>
>> flow:- mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support [*1]
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed [*1]
>>
>> default is false for both
>
> Will have to read about that.

I usually leave them as default. Here's one reason:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines.2C_and_Tips
"Flow quoted text if possible. "qv}" in vim. "

>> wrap:- extensions.enigmail.wrapHtmlBeforeSend[*2] - default is
>> true mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width - default is false
>> mail.wrap_long_lines - default is true mailnews.wraplength -
>> default is 72 characters (news) view_source.wrap_long_lines -
>> default is false

NOTE: line breaks are inserted at the value held by mailnews.wraplength,
with plain text messages these line breaks are shown with the > mark.
When editing a reply you can "re-wrap" text (Toolbar => Edit => Rewrap)
Ctrl+R.

<snipped>

> Auto-wrapping of received messages isn't troublesome.  It's the
> auto-wrapping during composition of an outgoing message I want to
> stop.

They must be very long URLs... have you considered URL shorteners?

Check the screen scrape I posted against your perception of "line
breaking". You may find that unnecessary. Especially given all those
years of not having a problem with mutt's default column width. ;-)

> Appears that I should set mail.wrap_long_lines or
> mail.fixed_width_messages or both to false.

It's an option. Or you can use the extension I pointed you at.
I normally just use the default (I get no complaints).

> Or perhaps just set mailnews.wraplength to 140 or so.

Yes.
But you can then expect complaint from list readers who *don't* want to
filter out your messages *and don't* want to scroll across the screen to
read every bloody line.

From:-
"Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion. Lines
longer than 80 characters are acceptable for computer-generated output
(e.g., ls -l)."

(IMTU) putting plain text URLs on a line of their own is thoughtful.

>> [*1]http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow
>

> Will read thanks.
>
>> [*2]you won't see this if you don't have enigmail
>
> No enigmail here.  [But a coder must be possessed to make an HTML
> text which spews on for miles without a line break.]

Huh?
PGP won't validate if a message is modified - so <pre> must be forced
onto HTML before signing/encryption.

<snipped>

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-