Re: Problem with trying to instal Debian

On 20/03/12 14:14, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> <snipped>

>>> Yes - it's possible.
>>> The routing table on that box will tell you if that is being used as a
>>> gateway.
>>>
>>> # route
>>>
>>> Alternatively it could be your DNS server (either not working, or
>>> miss-set during install). Have a look at /etc/resolv.conf
>>>
>>> <snipped>
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>

>> I have given up.
>>
>> I have had repeated attempts to write the Debian 6.04 "x386" DVD,
>> using the "CD/DVD Creator" that is the default that came with Debian
>> 6, that cannot create a bootable disc, and Brasero that cannot eject
>> the disc, and I have not been able to obtain a bootable DVD of the
>> Debian 6.04 "x386" version.
>>
>> It appears that Debian simply does not instal and run on 32 bit Intel
>> based chip systems anymore.
>>
>> All that I have been able to do with Debian 6, in trying to instal it
>> on the 32 bit computer, is create coasters, and waste bandwidth with
>> the unusable downloads, and I have now, too many Debian 6 32 bit
>> coasters.

If any of those CD/DVDs pass the md5sum test then you will know whether
the image is/was corrupted. The lack of similar bug reports indicates
the installer is mostly functional. And we know the sources.list from
you install should work.

> I gave it another try last night, using the Debian 6.03 CD 1 that I had
> created using Ubuntu 10.04 (I had installed Debian 6 on this computer,
> using a disc similarly dreated using Ubuntu 10.04) a while ago.
>
> I answered NO to the firmware question for the wireless NIC driver (it
> is unfortunate that the question does not indicate that it is for a
> wireless device, otherwise I would have answered No from the start, and
> saved all the trouble and the coasters), and then proceeded through the
> installation without any problems, and now have an apparently functional
> installation of Debian 6.03 on the NX5000.

So perhaps we can presume the installation setup of the wireless NIC is
causing the problem? I vaguely recall issues with a wireless drive
(Realtek?) that wouldn't function properly for installs, but worked ok
with updates applied after installation. It would have been interesting
to see the routing table.
No matter - I'm sure your experience will prove useful to others.

Glad to hear your perseverance has paid off.

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: