Re: Problem with trying to instal Debian

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Bret Busby wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 19/03/12 16:11, Bret Busby wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Bret Busby wrote:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012, Brian wrote:

On Sun 18 Mar 2012 at 01:37:41 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

I do not know whether the firmware is faulty (the IPW firmware)
or the mirror settings within the downloaded netinst ISO, are
bad.

But, it does not work.

<snipped>

I suppose it is possible that the reason that the repositories
mirrors cannot be accessed, is due to this wireless network device,

Yes - it's possible.
The routing table on that box will tell you if that is being used as a
gateway.

# route

Alternatively it could be your DNS server (either not working, or
miss-set during install). Have a look at /etc/resolv.conf

<snipped>

Kind regards

I have given up.

I have had repeated attempts to write the Debian 6.04 "x386" DVD, using the "CD/DVD Creator" that is the default that came with Debian 6, that cannot create a bootable disc, and Brasero that cannot eject the disc, and I have not been able to obtain a bootable DVD of the Debian 6.04 "x386" version.

It appears that Debian simply does not instal and run on 32 bit Intel based chip systems anymore.

All that I have been able to do with Debian 6, in trying to instal it on the 32 bit computer, is create coasters, and waste bandwidth with the unusable downloads, and I have now, too many Debian 6 32 bit coasters.

I gave it another try last night, using the Debian 6.03 CD 1 that I had created using Ubuntu 10.04 (I had installed Debian 6 on this computer, using a disc similarly dreated using Ubuntu 10.04) a while ago.

I answered NO to the firmware question for the wireless NIC driver (it is unfortunate that the question does not indicate that it is for a wireless device, otherwise I would have answered No from the start, and saved all the trouble and the coasters), and then proceeded through the installation without any problems, and now have an apparently functional installation of Debian 6.03 on the NX5000.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."