Re: Windows screws up Linux's clock -- solved for the Windows-naive

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:31:38 -0500, Doug wrote:

> On 02/21/2012 08:36 PM, Don deJuan wrote:
>>>
>>>             In windows open regedit go to:
>>>             HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\__Control
\TimeZoneInformation
>>>             add a DWORD with name of "RealTimeIsUniversal" exactly as
>>>             its entered
>>>             there and set the value to 1. Now you can have windows
>>>             time play nice
>>>             with any linux distro, no matter if you use localtime or
>>> UTC.
>>>

> In accordance with Juan's instructions somewhere in this thread, I went
> to Google
> and got slightly more detailed instructions, which I am going to repeat
> here, for
> those who are as faked out as I was.  (I'm not a Windows expert--I'm not
> really
> a Linux expert, either, but I'm probably more familiar with PCLINUXOS
> than with
> XP.  So here it is, from "lifehacker.com/5742148. . . .

Thanks.  Very clear instructions, for a non-Windows user.  There's only
one program I boot WIndows for - and that's Adobe Digital Editions.  Why
*I* should have to run Adobe Digital Editions in order to get my
purchased ebook encrypted instead of the bookstore escapes me.

Just a few click-notes, while I'm doing it:

I'm using WIndows XP.

> START>Type in "regedit.exe" >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control
START>RUN. not just START
> Set\Control\Time Zone Information
>
> Right click anywhere in the right-hand panel, select NEW>DWORD Value
> Type in the box (no spaces, no quotes) "RealTimeIsUniversal"> double
> click, change value from 0 to 1, select hexadecimal if not already
> selected.
click on "OK"
close registry editor