Re: Windows screws up Linux's clock

On 02/20/2012 09:51 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Hendrik Boom wrote:
I run my machine on UCT, or something like it (timezone +0).  Every  time

It's UTC.  Having the hardare clock in UTC is normal and standard.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

I boot to Windows XP (which I need to do once in a blue moon) Windows
takes it on itself to set my clock as if the UCT time were actually local
time.  I have no idea where it gets its idea of what the current time is.

The basic problem is that Windows keeps the hardware clock in
localtime but modern systems keep the hardware clock in UTC.  They are
fundamentally incompatible.

You can configure Debian's /etc/default/rcS to keep the hardware clock
in local time too.  (With UTC=no)  But if you only dual boot very
rarely then I wouldn't do it.  I would simply live with Windows having
messed up time.  It should be fine when you boot Debian.

It is fine when you boot Debian, right?  If not then install 'ntp' and
it will be fine.

What I'd like to know is, how can I keep Windows from messing with my
clock.  I'd really like it to just leave it alone.

Windows is just /displaying/ the clock as localtime, not setting the
clock, right?  That is what I see when I dual boot a machine.

By the way...  The date on your email is UTC.  Is that also your local
time zone too?

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:55:14 +0000 (UTC)

Bob

In windows open regedit go to:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
add a DWORD with name of "RealTimeIsUniversal" exactly as its entered there and set the value to 1. Now you can have windows time play nice with any linux distro, no matter if you use localtime or UTC.