Re: Get to the bottom of what is running my networks

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Unless ifupdown is smart enough (don't know, you have to research this)
> the "second" DHCP might override the default gateway of the "first"[1].
> Assuming you may want to connect other devices to the OpenWrt you
> probably don't want to tinker with it's DHCP server and should handle
> this on the client side. Useful reading:

Andrei suggests:
> man interfaces
> man dhcpclient.conf

Thanks.
What you feared above, did seem to be happening.  But aren't you
supposed to be able to set gateway in /etc/network/interfaces?

`man interfaces' seems to indicate that I could by adding a line like
 gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

to an interface.

But:

Stealing an idea from Tom H and Bob P, I find even without setting a
gateway, if I add `auto' to the stanzas it seems to come up like I want
it to, and both interfaces can be start/stopped with
/etc/init.d/networking start/stop

/etc/network/interfaces now looks like this:

  # The loopback network interface
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

  # The primary network interface
  allow-hotplug eth0
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

  # a secondary network interface
  allow-hotplug eth1
  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet dhcp

And route -n shows what I wanted to see:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway      Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     0 eth0
192.168.1.0  0.0.0.0      255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth0
192.168.2.0  0.0.0.0      255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth1

And it all survives rebooting.

Surprisingly, even when it was coming up with gateway in
192.168.2.0/24 network, it still seemed to work just fine.  Probably
due to having the pet router hooked up with its wan port facing the
subnet 192.168.1.0 lan, and lan port facing subnet 192.168.2.0

[...]

> BTW, in a similar situation as yours I decided to connect the OpenWrt
> device (Asus WL 500gP v2) directly to the gateway via one of the
> "lan"[2] ports and with a static IP in the same subnet. This way I can
> use it as just another device on my lan and plan to use it as DNS and
> web server.

Interesting... I thought about trying that hookup at first, before
going the lan wan route on the test router.  I thought it would be
more like a real setup if I had it as transfer point between
192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0.

I expect to throw different stuff at it and watch reactions until I
learn enough about openwrt and iptables to trust my self to run my own
router at the main gateway with wan facing cable modem.

> [2] most devices of this type actually implement the "wan" and "lan" via
> vlans and it's very under OpenWrt to disable this functionality and use
> the wan port as just another switch port.

Thanks, and vlans is how this one defaults.

Veering a little off topic here but:

I'm curious when you say you are going to be using embedded openwrt on
a router to run a dns server; Do you mean an honest to god real DNS
server running bind/named (or similar).  I did notice that bind
software is available for recent builds of openwrt.

I don't know about it to hazard a guess myself but I guess you don't
think the small amount of available ram will be a factor in a dns
server or web server of your lans' proportions eh?

That would be a very nice kind of server to have... the size of a
smallish book, quiet, no fans running, not much heat... nice.

I wonder if you'd know if mine could do the same by these two ouputs:

(TP-Link WR1043ND running very recent openwrt Using:
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin)

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

/proc/cpuinfo and `free'

cpuinfo
system type             : Atheros AR9132 rev 2
machine                 : TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS                : 265.42
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 16
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0000, 0x0e50, 0x0088, 0x0360]
ASEs implemented        : mips16
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         29416        18872        10544            0         1440
-/+ buffers:              17432        11984
Swap:            0            0            0