Re: Get to the bottom of what is running my networks

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed 15 Feb 2012 at 12:57:24 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> Honestly it is confusing... surely there is some straight forward way
>>> by now on this modern of a version of debian to simply work with the
>>> tools that control networking...
>>
>> There is: ifupdown
>
> Since NM's active and therefore most probably controlling the
> interfaces, the only interface defined in "/etc/network/interfaces"
> will be "lo" and ifupdown won't work.
>
> If you've defined or uncommented an interface in
> "/etc/network/interfaces" and you have "managed=false" in the ifupdown
> section of "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf", ifupdown'll
> work. I'm not sure what'll happen if you use ifupdown when you have
> "managed=true" in this case.

Thanks for that bit about network-manager.

At this point, I've removed network-manager completely and hope I am
relying only on ifupdown tools to start/stop network.

 (At least I hope it is completely removed.
  aptitude search  network-manager shows everything with the `p':

p   network-manager                 - network management framework (daemon and u
p   network-manager-dbg             - network management framework (debugging sy
p   network-manager-dev             - network management framework (development
p   network-manager-gnome           - network management framework (GNOME fronte
p   network-manager-kde             - transitional package for plasma-widget-net
p   network-manager-openvpn         - network management framework (OpenVPN plug
p   network-manager-openvpn-gnome   - network management framework (OpenVPN plug
p   network-manager-pptp            - network management framework (PPTP plugin
p   network-manager-pptp-gnome      - network management framework (PPTP plugin
p   network-manager-strongswan      - network management framework (strongSwan p
p   network-manager-vpnc            - network management framework (VPNC plugin
p   network-manager-vpnc-gnome      - network management framework (VPNC plugin

But still /etc/NetworkManager is there and contains a directory and
file:

  ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
  Wired connection 2

One thing I notice though, is that /etc/init.d/networking, which is
part of the ifupdown pkgs, can stop the network but appears unable to
start the network.  Is that normal?

# /etc/init.d/networking stop
,----
| Deconfiguring network interfaces...Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
| Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
| All rights reserved.
| For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
|
| Listening on LPF/eth1/00:11:09:ee:6c:04
| Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:11:09:ee:6c:04
| Sending on   Socket/fallback
| DHCPRELEASE on eth1 to 192.168.2.1 port 67
| Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd only.
| Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
| Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
| All rights reserved.
| For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
|
| Listening on LPF/eth0/00:40:f4:b5:29:41
| Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:40:f4:b5:29:41
| Sending on   Socket/fallback
| DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
| Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd only.
| done.
`----

OK, its stopped:

   route -n
   Kernel IP routing table
  Destination  Gateway  Genmask  Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

But /etc/init.d/networking start

 # /etc/init.d/networking start
 Configuring network interfaces...done.

Now check:

   route -n
  Kernel IP routing table
  Destination  Gateway  Genmask  Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

Nothing is up

Of course, I can start/stop each with

  ifup eth0  (or eth1)

But shouldn't they start with `/etc/init.d/networking start'
when I have something like this in /etc/network/interfaces:

  # The loopback network interface
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

  # The primary network interface