Re: "hostname" question during Debian installation

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:

>>> Yes. And also to /etc/postfix/main.cf if postfix is installed.  Or to
>>> other places if other MTAs are installed.
>>
>> When you use "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" or "dpkg-reconfigure
>> postfix", "/etc/mailname" is updated; in postfix's case because "my
>> origin" is set to it in "/etc/postfix/main.cf".
>
> I thought it set 'myhostname'.  No?  I should try a pristine
> installation and look.

(Gmail's ever helpful autocorrect turned "myorigin" above into "my origin"...)

AFAIR, "myhostname" is "/etc/hostname" and "myorigin" is "/etc/mailname".

What I find somewhat weird is that when you install Debian,
"/etc/hostname" and "/etc/mailname" are the same. So if it's
"box.company.internal" and bob runs "mail tom", bob's address'll be
"bob@box.company.internal". That's fine when emailing on a box or from
one box to another within "company.internal".

There was a debian-devel thread where there was an argument about
whether "/etc/mailname" should be "box.company.internal" or
"company.internal".

If you you do a regular install or don't use a preseed that installs
postfix, you'll have exim4 by default. You can then change
"/etc/hostname" and "/etc/mailname", install postfix, and see what
gets pulled in as "myhostname" into "/etc/postfix/main.cf". I'm going
to try it too.