Re: Get to the bottom of what is running my networks

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 15 Feb 2012 at 12:57:24 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Honestly it is confusing... surely there is some straight forward way
>> by now on this modern of a version of debian to simply work with the
>> tools that control networking...
>
> There is: ifupdown

Since NM's active and therefore most probably controlling the
interfaces, the only interface defined in "/etc/network/interfaces"
will be "lo" and ifupdown won't work.

If you've defined or uncommented an interface in
"/etc/network/interfaces" and you have "managed=false" in the ifupdown
section of "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf", ifupdown'll
work. I'm not sure what'll happen if you use ifupdown when you have
"managed=true" in this case.