Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:41:59 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:55:28 -0500, Tom H wrote:

>>> This requirement comes from upstream.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Any document to support that statement?
>>
>> It will be indeed very sad to see that requirement coming from GNOME
>> ;-(
>
> One more thought. The Tracker requirement's what I call the Google/Apple
> effect. Apple's had a file indexer by default since pre-OS X (although
> I'm not sure that file contents were indexed pre-OS X) and Google's made
> people rely on search in weird ways.

(...)

I understand (and even agree) with that strategy, regardless GNOME is
following it or not. But I would like the user can choose their search/
indexer application rather than having to stick to one to avoid messing a
GNOME install. That's a bit... how to say? Unfair?

> I've now seen five people (and even though it's not a large number of
> people, I have to assume that this behavior must be somewhat widespread
> given that they're otherwise very different) who when they want to go to
> Gmail, Facebook, Hotmail, Bloomberg, Hufffington Post, etc, click in the
> Google toolbar search box and type one of these website's names. Using
> search is their default MO, not creating a bookmark and using it.
> GNOME's giving users a tool to do so by default on the desktop.

Which I find is a good approach, but choosing/selecting "that tool" needs
to be an easy step and fully customizable.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón