Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:41:59 -0500, Tom H wrote:

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Any document to support that statement?
>>>
>>> It will be indeed very sad to see that requirement coming from GNOME
>>> ;-(
>>
>> One more thought. The Tracker requirement's what I call the Google/Apple
>> effect. Apple's had a file indexer by default since pre-OS X (although
>> I'm not sure that file contents were indexed pre-OS X) and Google's made
>> people rely on search in weird ways.
>
> (...)
>
> I understand (and even agree) with that strategy, regardless GNOME is
> following it or not. But I would like the user can choose their search/
> indexer application rather than having to stick to one to avoid messing a
> GNOME install. That's a bit... how to say? Unfair?
>
>> I've now seen five people (and even though it's not a large number of
>> people, I have to assume that this behavior must be somewhat widespread
>> given that they're otherwise very different) who when they want to go to
>> Gmail, Facebook, Hotmail, Bloomberg, Hufffington Post, etc, click in the
>> Google toolbar search box and type one of these website's names. Using
>> search is their default MO, not creating a bookmark and using it.
>> GNOME's giving users a tool to do so by default on the desktop.
>
> Which I find is a good approach, but choosing/selecting "that tool" needs
> to be an easy step and fully customizable.

(For the record, I'm not a big fan of GNOME Shell so I'm not defending
GNOME because it's my "religion"! I _REALLY_ dislike the fact that I
have to install an extension or find the right gconf/dconf setting to
customize the desktop, if I can customize it the way that I want...)

Have you tried installing another file indexer? Does it have a
"Conflicts" with Tracker and uninstalls it? Does it disable Tracker?

Perhaps Debian's GNOME maintainers could change the dependency to a
"file indexer" and have users choose the indexer that strikes their
fancy (I'm assuming that there are many but I only know of Beagle -
does Google Desktop Search have a Linux version?). Someone could
submit such an RFE but I wouldn't expect the maintainers to go for it
(it's my opinion not a certainty!).

They'd have to weigh giving Debian users more choice with what that
choice entails. They might not want to deviate from upstream
(especially since they wouldn't know what this deviation might
actually generate in future GNOME versions in time and effort
maintaining it). They also might not want to have many people switch
away from a tool that's properly integrated into and tested with
GNOME/GNOME Shell; over and above the fact that people invariably want
to push their own products over those of others (understandably!).

GNOME wants to provide a certain default experience when someone uses
GNOME and that includes a file indexer. If someone doesn't like this
or that feature and it's not easily uninstallable, there's probably  a
way of disabling it - and moving on.