Re: How best to replace NetworkManager with wicd?

On 02/13/2012 03:06 PM, Tom H wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Tom H<tomh0665@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Tom H<tomh0665@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Wayne Topa<linuxtwo@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 02/13/2012 12:20 PM, Tom H wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Wayne Topa<linuxtwo@gmail.com>    wrote:
On 02/13/2012 09:18 AM, Tom H wrote:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Chris Davies<chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk>
  wrote:

My understanding is that NM will not touch any interface that is
defined
in /etc/network/interfaces. So, theoretically at least, if you simply
go ahead and declare the interfaces "it will all just work".

Check "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"

This statement

If "managed=false" in the "ifupdown" section, NM will not manage
interfaces defined in "/etc/network/interfaces".

Sorry that is incorrect.

What's incorrect?

  My NetworkMansger.conf file does have "managed=false" and my interfaces
file
has only one interface listed and I am using it to send this message.
ifup/down works just as it should.

I sent that information in my last post.  Wasn't it clear?

No, it wasn't clear (to me).

I was 100% of what I wrote when I wrote it and am now 99% sure. Since
I was writing from memory, I'll have check the docs and find
references to NM and ifup being managed/unmanaged.

Maybe your NIC's being brought up by "/etc/init.d/networking" (since
it's defined in "/etc/network/interfaces") and not by
"/etc/init.d/network-manager". (Can "/etc/init.d/networking" and
"/etc/init.d/network-manager" be enabled simultaneously by insserv?)

Scratch that last paragraph, because it's not relevant (although it'd
be interesting to know).

In the script that you posted earlier in this thread, you activate NM
but then bring up your NIC with "ifup", which is in accord with what
I've posted. So it's not NM that's bringing up your NIC if you have
"managed=false" in "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf".

Furthermore:

From http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

<begin>
The ifupdown plugin also uses the
/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file (0.7 and 0.8.0) or
NetworkManager.conf (0.8.1 and later) for some configuration. All
ifupdown-specific options go in a "[ifupdown]" section. If the
"managed" key is set to "false", then any device listed in
/etc/network/interfaces will be completely ignored by NetworkManager.
Remember that NetworkManager controls the default route, so because
the device is hidden, NetworkManager will assign the default route to
some other device.
</end>

From http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

<begin>
If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in
/etc/network/interfaces:
Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
</end>

From "/usr/share/doc/network-manager/README.Debian"

<begin>
Managed vs. Unmanaged mode and /etc/network/interfaces

Devices listed in /etc/network/interfaces _will_ be managed by NetworkManager
unless the ifupdown system-config-setting is enabled and is setup to run
in "Unmanaged mode".

The config to select unmanaged/managed mode is in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

   [ifupdown]
   managed=true/false

Unmanaged mode will make NetworkManager not touch any wired/wireless device
matching an interface name configured in /etc/network/interfaces.

Managed mode will make NetworkManager manage all devices and will make
NetworkManager honour all dhcp and static configurations for wired and
wireless devices.

After modifying /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf _or_
/etc/network/interfaces you may want to tell NetworkManager about the changes
by running "service network-manager restart".
</end>

Then I am stumped. If I kill NM the interface is still up says iwconfig. ifdown wlan1 takes it down and ifup brings it back up,
and, NM is not running as shown by ps aux.  What the heck?