Re: How best to replace NetworkManager with wicd?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This statement

>>>  My NetworkMansger.conf file does have "managed=false" and my interfaces
>>> file
>>> has only one interface listed and I am using it to send this message.
>>> ifup/down works just as it should.
>>>
>>> I sent that information in my last post.  Wasn't it clear?
>>
>> No, it wasn't clear (to me).
>>
>> I was 100% of what I wrote when I wrote it and am now 99% sure. Since
>> I was writing from memory, I'll have check the docs and find
>> references to NM and ifup being managed/unmanaged.
>>
>> Maybe your NIC's being brought up by "/etc/init.d/networking" (since
>> it's defined in "/etc/network/interfaces") and not by
>> "/etc/init.d/network-manager". (Can "/etc/init.d/networking" and
>> "/etc/init.d/network-manager" be enabled simultaneously by insserv?)
>
> Scratch that last paragraph, because it's not relevant (although it'd
> be interesting to know).
>
> In the script that you posted earlier in this thread, you activate NM
> but then bring up your NIC with "ifup", which is in accord with what
> I've posted. So it's not NM that's bringing up your NIC if you have
> "managed=false" in "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf".

Furthermore:

>From http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

<begin>
The ifupdown plugin also uses the
/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file (0.7 and 0.8.0) or
NetworkManager.conf (0.8.1 and later) for some configuration. All
ifupdown-specific options go in a "[ifupdown]" section. If the
"managed" key is set to "false", then any device listed in
/etc/network/interfaces will be completely ignored by NetworkManager.
Remember that NetworkManager controls the default route, so because
the device is hidden, NetworkManager will assign the default route to
some other device.
</end>

>From http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

<begin>
If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in
/etc/network/interfaces:
Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
</end>

>From "/usr/share/doc/network-manager/README.Debian"

<begin>
Managed vs. Unmanaged mode and /etc/network/interfaces

Devices listed in /etc/network/interfaces _will_ be managed by NetworkManager
unless the ifupdown system-config-setting is enabled and is setup to run
in "Unmanaged mode".

The config to select unmanaged/managed mode is in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

  [ifupdown]
  managed=true/false

Unmanaged mode will make NetworkManager not touch any wired/wireless device
matching an interface name configured in /etc/network/interfaces.

Managed mode will make NetworkManager manage all devices and will make
NetworkManager honour all dhcp and static configurations for wired and
wireless devices.

After modifying /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf _or_
/etc/network/interfaces you may want to tell NetworkManager about the changes
by running "service network-manager restart".
</end>