Re: Conflict resolution?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Andrei Popescu
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are several frontends to APT (apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc.),
> > which one do you use?
> aptitude. AFAIR, it was the recommended one for Debian. (A while back,
> I remember that Debian recommended aptitude and Ubuntu wanted apt.

While aptitude was the recommended tool in Lenny, apt-get is now the
recommended tool in Squeeze and beyond.  From the Debian Reference

"Although the aptitude command comes with rich features such as its
enhanced package resolver, this complexity has caused (or may still
causes) some regressions such as Bug #411123, Bug #514930, and Bug
#570377. In case of doubt, please use the apt-get and apt-cache
commands over the aptitude command."

I know that the developers of aptitude are working on the issues and
the recommendation may change in the future.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal