Re: [OT] Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:27, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what's make you think open source projects cannot ask for money? I
> see nothing wrong there. I prefer a company or a project is transparent
> enough to say, "hey, we need $$$ to put this working" and ask for it.

Diaspora started as a free-for-all, no $$$ attached. Either that or i
read them wrong. Happens. That i later got an email saying We love
you, please donate was rather sad. I never said it's wrong for open
source projects to ask for money.

>> People who care about their privacy might most likely not care for
>> social networks and be, instead, concerned if the login details of the
>> café's website are sent encrypted or not.
>
> There is nothing wrong in using social networking techniques to enhance
> your business. They're an easy and free way of massively advertizing.
> Securing the AP has nothing to do with this, you can care in both things:
> marketing and technical stuff.

Keyword: might. Also never said social media doesn't make good, cheap
advertising.

OP oughta focus on intended audience first, then he'll know which means to use.

Cheers,
Nuno

--
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."