Re: Getting java applications to look like GTK

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:33:42 -0600, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> On 01/23/12 at 09:04am, Steve Mayer wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > When I run Gnome Java applications looks like the rest of my GTK
>> > based applications. However, when I'm running another DE
>> > (Pekwm/tint2) Java applications do not look like my other GTK
>> > applications. How can I get Java applications too look like my other
>> > applications when not using Gnome? I use Gtk-ChTheme to see the GTK
>> > theme when not in Gnome, but it doesn't affect  the look of Java
>> > applications.
>>

>> Christian,
>>
>>  Do you get the proper LAF if you pass this argument on the Java
>>  command line?:
>>
>> 	-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
>
> That did the trick, thanks! Do you know why I do not have to add this
> when running Gnome?

I guess this has to come from environmental variables. JRE has to read
them and use it when you launch the virtual machine.

> Is there a way to set it at login so I do not have to for every Java
> application I launch?

Mmm, maybe you can edit you "~/.bashrc" and export the required values
from there (e.g., export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-
Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel'). I have to
tested this, not sure if it is a valid setting, use with caution ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón