default resolution on distro boot

Given that several Linux distros identify (on boot) my display brand and type, get the size only slightly wrong, but default to a resolution that isn't native and doesn't work correctly, how do I identify just what package, module, or kernel part this "bug" hides in?
I'm using a Sharp 32" LCD tv via hdmi cable, and it's identified as a 37".
That's not as important as the default resolution, which comes up as
1280x720, but should be 1360x768 (or 1024x768 if wxga isn't doable).