Re: Plymouth only displays text bar

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:38:53 +0100, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:45:23 +0000 (UTC), Ramon Hofer
> <ramonhofer@bluewin.ch> a écrit :
>
> [...]
>> Now I have installed the nvidia-glx package
>
> nvidia-glx recommends a nvidia specific kernel and aptitude/apt-get
> installs recommended packages by default so you do have multiple kernels
> installed?

I installed Squeeze AMD64 netinstall yesterday and nvidia-glx from the
squeeze multimedia repos.

>> from the repos
>
> what repos are talking about? stable? backports?

The kernel package (linux-image-amd64) from squeeze-backports which
installed linux-image-3.1.0-0.bpo.1-amd64.

The nvidia-glx was from squeeze multimedia.

>> and tried to upgrade to the backport kernel.
>
> what backported kernel? stock one or nvidia-specific?

It was the one from squeeze backport (linux-image-3.1.0-0.bpo.1-amd64).
I didn't know that I have to use a special kernel for nvidia. I thought
the nvidia driver would be kernel specific.

> Anyway you should not need it because to install nvidia-glx (either
> stable or backports) will automatically install a nvidia specific kernel
> (which you have to chose at boot in the grub menu (after an update-grub)
> if you have several kernels and if it is not the default one)

So if I get you right, I'm fine when I install linux-image-amd64 and
nvidia-glx both from the squeeze backports?

>> But xinit didn't work anymore. So
>> I suppose I'd need to compile the driver.
>
> I don't think so. Probably to install properly nvidia-glx and chose the
> right kernel at boot should do it.

Yes, the problem would then be me :-)
I installed Squeeze AMD 64 then nvidia-glx fom squeeze multimedia then
linux-image-amd64 from squeeze backports. So I had the wrong nvidia-glx.

>> Btw when I booted the new kernel it still was the same text progress
>> bar.
>
> I still would suggest you to run
>  # update-initramfs -u -k all
> in order to update the initrd images of all installed kernels

I removed the squeeze backports kernel so it shouldn't be necessary
anymore?

Now I've just tried to install those two packages. The kernel installed
without problems:
http://pastebin.com/py1W6xCS

But when I want to install nvidia-glx from squeeze backports I get this
message:
nvidia-glx is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 42 not upgraded.

But apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't do anything...

Maybe the apt just doesn't take the right repo?

Here's the output of apt-get -t squeeze-backports install nvidia-glx:
http://pastebin.com/dbiAbndp

Best regards
Ramon