Re: Plymouth only displays text bar

Le Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:45:23 +0000 (UTC),
Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer@bluewin.ch> a écrit :

[...]
> Now I have installed the nvidia-glx package

nvidia-glx recommends a nvidia specific kernel and aptitude/apt-get
installs recommended packages by default so you do have multiple kernels
installed?

> from the repos

what repos are talking about? stable? backports?

> and tried to upgrade to the backport kernel.

what backported kernel? stock one or nvidia-specific?

Anyway you should not need it because to install nvidia-glx (either
stable or backports) will automatically install a nvidia specific
kernel (which you have to chose at boot in the grub menu (after an
update-grub) if you have several kernels and if it is not the default
one)

> But xinit didn't work anymore. So
> I suppose I'd need to compile the driver.

I don't think so. Probably to install properly nvidia-glx and chose the
right kernel at boot should do it.

> Btw when I booted the new kernel it still was the same text progress
> bar.

I still would suggest you to run
 # update-initramfs -u -k all
in order to update the initrd images of all installed kernels