Re: Vodafone Mobile Internet modem

On 09/01/12 20:51, Panayiotis wrote:
> On Δευ, 2012-01-09 at 10:52 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote: <snip>

<snipped>

> What type of USB cable will I need?

The same length as a piece of string.
;-p

Depends on how far you have to reach - about a metre is handy for signal
testing, depending on the weight of your computer and length of the
extension cord (that's a portable isn't it?).

> There are some USB extender cables,

If you need to go 5 - 25 metres, then yes.
These are what I use - you should be able to find something similar
locally:-
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4839

> or I can try a hub, right?

I wouldn't recommend one for this.

> What is the idea, to put the modem in a spot with better reception?

Um. yes :-)

When you've found where that spot is.
If you have a one metre cable you can do some testing. If you know where
the local tower is you'll have a head start.

Make sure the cable you use is a heavy one - not one of those nasty
skinny cables.

> My hope is based on the fact that my cellphone which also has a
> Vodafone connection, can connect from the same places, at higher
> speeds, usually 3G, while my laptop is connected to GPRS. Hence, I
> deduce it's not a network issue.

I would tend to agree - sort of. The phones seem to have better
reception - the one sitting beside me shows 4 bars. I have three
different USB modems I use, with three different carriers - none of them
gets a decent signal in my office. Acceptable if placed up high - decent
when put outside under the eaves - excellent 10 metres above the roof.
Using a reflector to shield the modem from reflected signals helps too.

> Can you give me some names on the products you mentioned? Where
> would I connect the antenna? There is no slot on the modem.

You could open your modem (void the warranty), judiciously disconnect
the on-board antennae. It'll be etched onto the circuit board so you'd
just scratch to disconnect - then solder on a lead to a home-made Yagi
or store bought antennae. But probably not necessary - or (recommended
if you need instructions).

> You have my gratitude, you have given me a lot of help.
>
> BTW, I tried many methods (comgt and AT commands) to put the modem in
> 3G-only mode, and they seem to be ignored... :-)

Which AT commands and what responses did you get?
And - are you sure you're not already locked to 3G?
If you are getting a green light - you won't get 3G. Might have to get a
decent signal first *if* the problem isn't elsewhere.

Try this (patent pending):-
http://paste.debian.net/151518

> I guess the disconnects happen when signal strength drops beyond a
> low level.

That would be my "suspicion" - proof is nice :-)

Green blinking
A GPRS network has been found – you could connect
Green solid
Connected via GPRS
Blue blinking
A 3G network has been found – you could connect
Blue solid
Connected via 3G
Light blue blinking
A 3G Broadband network has been found – you could connect
Light blue solid
Connected via 3G Broadband.

<snipped>

Cheers