Re: Vodafone Mobile Internet modem

On Δευ, 2012-01-09 at 22:03 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snip>
> Which AT commands and what responses did you get?
> And - are you sure you're not already locked to 3G?
> If you are getting a green light - you won't get 3G. Might have to get a
> decent signal first *if* the problem isn't elsewhere.
>
> Try this (patent pending):-
> http://paste.debian.net/151518

You've gone to a lot of trouble for me, I am very grateful. I did not
explain my situation well, I have internet at home, I use the 3G modem
when I am outside, at various locations (usually coffee shops), so this
setup will be cumbersome... :-) But thanks, I'll try it when I find
time.

The AT commands I used are from this page:

http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=320231&tstart=50&orderStr=26

The response is "OK", but still I get the green light.

Just two quick questions:
a) Is the 3G-locking a one-off process, or do I have to repeat it every
time I connect?
b) If it isn't, do you know how I can send commands to the modem while
it is connected to the Voda(fail) network? The "cu" program refuses to
send the commands while the modem is in use, in all the ttys.
<snip>
> Green blinking
> A GPRS network has been found – you could connect
> Green solid
> Connected via GPRS
> Blue blinking
> A 3G network has been found – you could connect
> Blue solid
> Connected via 3G
> Light blue blinking
> A 3G Broadband network has been found – you could connect
> Light blue solid
> Connected via 3G Broadband.

Thanks, I did not know about light-blue.

<snip>

Again many thanks, please don't give so much time to this, I feel guilty
like I am using you... :-)

Best regards,
    Panayiotis