Re: Vodafone Mobile Internet modem

On 09/01/12 08:17, Panayiotis wrote:
> On Δευ, 2012-01-09 at 00:33 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

>> 3. Please take note of the LED colours and flash rate throughout and
>> post the results.
>
> There was a long pause at the beginning, then the green light flashed
> twice, a shorter pause, then the green light flashed twice again. Then
> at short intervals the blue or green light flashes once. I can't find
> any other pattern.

The switching between blue and green means you have a terrible signal -
and 3G is only intermittently available.

You previously mentioned that you believed the modem worked well with
Windoof - I fail to understand how the OS influences reception.
Atmospherics, orientation of the modem, things blocking and reflecting
signals, varying numbers of subscribers, base station variations, etc -
"seem" more feasible explanations for influencing signal reception.

>> 4. Run the following for a few minutes then adding the output to the post:-
>> # cat /dev/USBtty1 | grep RSSI
>
> ^RSSI: 11
> ^RSSI: 13
> ^RSSI: 12
> ^RSSI: 13
> ^RSSI: 15

Received Signal Strength Indicator - the low number and variations is
are in accordance with the LED information. NOTE: it's a poor indicator
of signal "quality" - need SNR and BER to calculate that.

You could try and see if you get SNR and BER data. I don't have that
particular modem so I've no idea if that info is provided.

The following output might prove instructive:-
# cat /dev/ttyUSB1 | grep 'RSSI/|SNR/|SIR/|SINR/|BER'

<snipped>

> paste.debian.net/151464

Thanks - that looks fine. I don't believe the apparent failure to set an
endpoint is a problem.

<snipped>

I strongly suspect the main problem is signal reception. There is also a
possibility your ppp settings are less than optimal.

If we can boost your signal and reduce the amount of possible noise
we'll have a useful basis for testing the ppp profile.

Nearly there :-)
You can spend money on a signal amplifier, and antenna, or a reflector -
or I can give you instruction on a 5 minute kludge that'll do the same
thing. What is the longest decent[*1] USB cable you have available to
connect the modem too?

Cheers