Re: Ufter upgrade Debian SID something wrong with sound - PulseAudio

On 08/01/12 22:27, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

<snipped>

>> Skype => Main Menu (that little blue icon, bottom-left) => Options
>> => Sound devices
>>
>> Is the  selected?" What are the settings displayed there?
>
> Sound Devices Microphone  PulseAudio server (local) Speakers
> PulseAudio server (local) Ringing     PulseAudio server (local)
>
>> Try unselecting "Let Skype manage my mixer levels" and using the
>> "make a test sound" while you modify your settings.
>
> The test sound is again very quiet.
>
>>> So I increase the PulseAudio volume to heare it regularly then
>>> one of the WMaker's application, the fookb-wmaker - An Xkb state
>>> indicator -- WindowMaker version
>>>
>>> become so loud that it's unendurable; When I switch to another
>>> keyboard layout it play a sound with:
>
>> Not sure what the problem is there - I don't have any WMaker
>> machines to test with.
>
> The problem is that that or I increase sound volume so I can hear
> Skype sounds and fookb-wmaker become very loud, or I decrease it but
> then I can't hear Skype sounds.

Do that still happen when you've unselect "Let Skype manage my mixer
levels"?

> Newer mind, with the command canberra-gtk-play -f Szervusz.ogg
>
> I can play ogg files. It seems that that canberra-gtk-play uses
> PulseAudio server.

Yes - it uses libcanberra-pulse

> However when I play the same sound from the ogg file, it is very
> quiet,

Bingo! I believe it's a mixer setting and the volume control you are
using seems to control alsa levels.

Try using pavucontrol to adjust sound levels

> but when I play the same sound from the wav file with the
> command
>
> aplay Szervusz.wav
>
> the sound is louder and can be heared without pricking the ears. I
> think a that that in this case aplay doesn't use PulseAudio server,
> right?

I "believe" it's calling alsa directly instead of going through
PulseAudio (not that it's a problems)

You may have identified the problem though....

> So I must thinking that that on my operating system I have at least
> two sound server, on is PulseAudio and what is tha other?

You may have three (or more) "sound systems":- alsa, esd, gstreamer,
jack, pulse, canberra, sdl....

Cheers