Re: Ufter upgrade Debian SID something wrong with sound - PulseAudio

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/01/12 04:43, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 07/01/12 07:28, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>>
>>> As I don't run WM, Gnome or SID what works for my might not be
>>> useful to you.
>>>
>>> I have found the first link below very useful, the second[*1] might
>>> be of interest to you also:-
>>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>>
>> I have these setup in my ~/.asoundrc pcm.pulse { type pulse }
>>
>> ctl.pulse { type pulse }
>>
>> pcm.!default { type pulse }
>>
>> ctl.!default { type pulse }
>
> That "looks" right (I'm not on a box with audio at present).
>>
>>> As a general test:- aplay /usr/share/skype/sounds/SkypeLogout.wav
>>> (because I once spent hours discovering I didn't have the headset
>>> speaker plugged in)
>>
>> aplay /usr/share/skype/sounds/SkypeLogout.wav gives me the sound that
>> I can hear.
>
> Good.
>
>> But when start Skype then this sound is so quiet that I can hear it
>> barely.
>
> Skype => Main Menu (that little blue icon, bottom-left)
> => Options => Sound devices
>
> Is the  selected?"
> What are the settings displayed there?

Sound Devices
Microphone  PulseAudio server (local)
Speakers    PulseAudio server (local)
Ringing     PulseAudio server (local)

> Try unselecting "Let Skype manage my mixer levels" and using the "make a
> test sound" while you modify your settings.

The test sound is again very quiet.

>> So I increase the PulseAudio volume to heare it regularly then one
>> of the WMaker's application, the fookb-wmaker - An Xkb state
>> indicator -- WindowMaker version
>>
>> become so loud that it's unendurable; When I switch to another
>> keyboard layout it play a sound with:

> Not sure what the problem is there - I don't have any WMaker machines to
> test with.

The problem is that that or I increase sound volume so I can hear Skype
sounds and fookb-wmaker become very loud, or I decrease it but then I
can't hear Skype sounds.

>> I have one more problem related to sound. When I play a sound with
>> the command:
>>
>> aplay /debian-adatok-1/Hangok/Szervusz/Szervusz.ogg Playing raw data
>> '/debian-adatok-1/Hangok/Szervusz/Szervusz.ogg' : Unsigned 8 bit,
>> Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>
> No worries - that's a feature, not a failing. It might be possible to
> play .ogg files with aplay - but I'd have to look up the proper settings.

Newer mind, with the command
canberra-gtk-play -f Szervusz.ogg

I can play ogg files. It seems that that canberra-gtk-play uses
PulseAudio server.

However when I play the same sound from the ogg file, it is very quiet,
but when I play the same sound from the wav file with the command

aplay Szervusz.wav

the sound is louder and can be heared without pricking the ears. I think
a that that in this case aplay doesn't use PulseAudio server, right?

So I must thinking that that on my operating system I have at least two
sound server, on is PulseAudio and what is tha other?

--
Regards from Pal