Re: rootdelay=9 kernal option - why?

Hello,

Camaleón a écrit :

> I wonder how did you finally reached the conclusion for the "rootdelay",
> I wouldn't either have imagined so after finding any clue over Internet,
> forums and mailing lists... even after reading the Relase Notes, you still
> have to connect the points to identify your booting problem with the solution
> showed there.

OP : "Without it, the root file system is not found and it drops you
into the initramfs prompt."

Release notes : "The usual symptoms are that the boot will fail because
the root file system cannot be mounted and you are dropped into a debug
shell."

Quite similar, isn't it ?

> It is still unclear why you're seeing the error, unless you're at any of
> the mentioned scenarios (using USB disks, RAID or LILO) the timing
> problem should not bit you.

OP : " We typically have mdadm style software raid on all boot systems,
using /dev/md0 typically as root file system."

To the OP :
This is not specific to Squeeze, the issue was already reported in Etch
and Lenny release notes. And it is not a kernel issue but an initramfs
issue.