Re: Which development and image libraries needed to build emacs-24

Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> When I run this configure command:
>> ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid \
>>           --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test/
>
>> I get this final error:
>
>> | configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
>> | were found.
>
> Google "debian install X development libraries" suggests xorg-dev as
> the metapackage for ... X Window System development libraries.
>

>> | and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+, Lesstif or Motif
>
> Google "debian install gtk development libraries" seems to provide some
> good suggestions

I guess you are joking?  When I do either of those searches I get
exactly 1 hit... and it is the reply message of yours that I quote
here.

However xorg-dev appears to be the main source of trouble.

>> | sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
>> | tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
>
> It didn't seem to be particularly hard to follow the motif and find
> development package suggestions for at least some of these.

I don't understand you here either ...  motif?

But with the xorg-dev pkg installed ./configure ends in another error
of a different kind.  I'm not sure if it something that must be fixed
before trying to build or not.

,----
| [...]
| creating src/epaths.h
| make[1]: Entering directory `/anex/usr_local/src/vcs/bzr/emacs/trunk'
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/anex/usr_local/src/vcs/bzr/emacs/trunk'
| config.status: executing gdbinit commands
| config.status: executing gdbinit commands
| ./config.status: line 2071: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
| ./config.status: line 2071: `;'
`----

Looking at that area of the file, I don't really see which `;' is out
of place.