Re: address and port translation (NAT) no longer required in IPv6 -- but...

On 29/12/11 19:21, Rick Thomas wrote:

Please don't top-post.
I'm lazy and likely to ignore emails that require effort to read.

> Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in answering - for some reason this had been flagged
as spam.

> Can you provide some specific model numbers?

No - sorry, not for those specifications. But it's pretty simple to look
up - especially compared to the difficulty of setting up stateful
inspection rules. :-)

> I'll need a box that can
> do IPv6 tunneling over IPv4, since none of the ISP's I have access to
> have native IPv6 or any plans for it in the foreseeable future.  Of
> course, it will also need to be able to do basic stateful fire-wall
> stuff, and the IPv4 side will need to do NAT and port translation.

My preference is to always use Debian - and it's certainly capable of
doing what you want. If you want to buy a device that does that for you
it will probably cost more than $100 as it requires a fair bit of
processing power.

> Thanks!
>
> Rick
>

> On Dec 27, 2011, at 6:40 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Most of the manufacturers already do (or don't you consider sub-$100AU
>> cheap?)

<snipped>

Cheers