port direction definition

I have laptop -> router -> internet. The router is Westell A90-750015-07. I
am using Verizon DSL High Speed Internet.

I have set up the apache server on port 8088. It works internally but not
externally. So http://192.168.1.21:8088 works. However, I am not able to
access the site if I try http://192.168.1.1:8088 or
http://72.88.231.219:8088

I tried to set up the port forwarding in the router, but this process is
very confusing.

Consider these snapshots for example...
snapshot1.jpeg -
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZYTcyNzNjNTYtZDY5OC00YTMzLWIxM2YtYTVmMTZkZjk3YmRh
snapshot2.jpeg -
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZMzc3NWY1OTItMjYxMi00M2VmLThjMjEtNDRiZTc2ZDM4YTM3
snapshot3.jpeg -
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4J6QB3eL1ZZM2Y4MzBjNDMtOTM4Yy00NmU4LTliZGEtMjkzMzJlYzk2NDAw

In the router configuration (192.168.1.1), I chose "Firewall Settings" ->
Port Forwarding and I get snapshot1.jpeg. I then choose "Add". This gives
snapshot2.jpeg. There is no rule relevant to forwarding of http packets, so
I click on create which gives snapshot3.jpeg.

In snapshot3.jpeg, the field (1) "Enter a name for the custom service:" can
be any random name. But what about (2)? Should I choose "Port Forwarding"
or
"Port Triggering".

The options in section 3 of snapshot3.jpeg are even more confusing. Under
the Protocol, there are three options - tcp, udp, both. I guess I should
choose "both"?

For Global PortStart, Global PortEnd should I choose 8088?
For Base HostPort, should I choose 8088?
What about Direction? In/Out?
If the Direction is "In", then "Port Direction" can only be Dst.
If the Direction is "Out", then "Port Direction" can be Dst or Src. Which
Port direction should I choose?

Thanks for any help. This is utterly confusing to me. No amount of googling
helped me. There is no help page for this router. Did anyone get this
working or is my best choice to buy another router?

thanks for any help
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi